CWB SHORT-TERM CLIMATE PREDICTION PROGRAM
: Dr. Ming-Dean Chen, Director
Coinvestigators: Dr. Mong-Ming Lu and Dr. Jen-Chen Chang
To modernize short-term climate prediction at CWB
It is recoganized that to improve short-term climate prediction has become a trend in
advancing human ability in forecasting the weather. CWB is willing to work with world
leading weather forecast operational centers and research institutes in the endeavor of
pushing the limit of forecast. CWB will launch a four-year Short-term Climate Prediction
Program to prepare for a full scale of the modernization of climate prediction in the
THE SHORT-TERM CLIMATE PREDICTION PROGRAM (1997-2001)
- 1. Build up a short-term climate monitoring, forcast and application system.
- 2. Actively participate in international programs.
- 3. Plan for establishing a climate center in Taiwan.
- 4. Improve collaborations with world leading operational and research centers.
- 5. Expend the area of forecast interest to a wider region including Southeast Asian and
Western Pacific Region.
- Major Work Items:
1. To survey current status of climate modellings of East Asian climate
2. To participate in SCSMEX and other international programs (possible targets: TRMM and
3. To establish formal collaboration (project based) relation with world leading
oerational and research center